Thursday, July 10, 2008

Papa Don't Preach

Are you kidding me? Let me repeat myself. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!


Yes, it's true. My darling Father skirted around an old near and dear promise. The promise as I have previously mentioned in past posts was that there were to be no secrets. The promise contended that we would not edit/delete/sugar coat any of life's happenings. For years he has held true and has told me the straight and very direct truth as life has unfolded.


For instance, while I was in the Missionary Training Center he wrote (there are no phone calls) and told me about my Grandfather's heart attack. This is the kind of thing that people neglect to tell others thinking that they are doing them a service of some kind. The intent is to spare stress and worry which is believed to be in the best interest of another. I get it...I just don't agree...at all.


While the intent is pure it doesn't do anyone any good to hide the elephant in the kitchen. I do not like secrets and let's face it, eventually information of this nature is generally given to everyone in these types of situation or found out just by nature. So while my Father has fared extremely well and held true over the course of many secret ridden years he has alas faultered!


He was in the hospital yet again this week. He spent much time in the Telemetry unit given some iunexpected and unknown issues with his heart. HIS HEART. Now it wasn't all that long ago that he was in the hospital with lyme disease that took some time to diagnose and the reality is that we almost lost him last year while he was in the hospital with complications.


On the B Side: I am so grateful that he is doing well now. He has received excellent care and is now home safely resting. While I am sad that I didn't know while he was going through everything I let him know how I felt and hopefully despite his best intentions this won't happen again! Communication is everything and I firmly believe this. The other thing to consider is that if people don't know you are struggling or ill then they can't pray for you! Just say no to secrets.

0 shout outs: